BABA YAGA'S ASSISTANT
written by Marika McCoola, illustrated by Emily Carroll
Candlewick Press, 9780763669614
This graphic novel follows the story of Masha, a young teen. After the death of her grandmother, Masha doesn't know what to do with her life. Her father is absent, more involved with his fiance than his daughter. When Masha discovers an ad seeking an assistant for Baba Yaga, she ventures into the woods to apply. But once there, Masha must pass three tests handed down from the terrifying witch, the last of which is cooking children for dinner.
Awards & Praise for BABA YAGA'S ASSISTANT
- Debuted at #3 on the New York Times Graphics Bestseller List, on the list for 11 weeks
- Winner of the 2015 New England Book Award: Children‘s
- Nominated for the Eisner Award for Best Publication for Kids
- Kirkus starred review: "A magnificently magical must-read for all fairy-tale fans."
- Kirkus Reviews’ Best Middle-Grade Books of 2015
- 2015 Junior Library Guild selection
- 2016 YALSA Great Graphic Novels for Teens, 2016 Notable Book
- CYBILS Finalist
- 2015 New York Public Library’s 100 Titles for Reading and Sharing list
- Shortlisted for the 2015 Autostraddle Comic and Sequential Art Awards: Favorite Graphic Novel/Book
- Chicago Public Library’s Kids Best of the Best Books of 2015
- Texas Library Association‘s Little Mavericks 2016 Graphic Novel List
- Amazon Best Children’s Books of the Year
- Maryland Black-Eyed Susan Book Award, Graphic Novels: Grades 4-6 Category, 2016-2017
- Highly Recommended by the Boston Authors Club Julia Warde Howe Award, 2016
- 2016 Kansas State Reading Circle Catalog
- 2016 Massachusetts Book Award Honor, Young Adult/Middle Reader
- Hornbook Recommended Page-Turners: Middle School Fiction and Nonfiction, July 2016
- PW review: "Strong, complex characters and the inventive fusion of contemporary and fairy tale elements make this a noteworthy collaboration."
- Booklist review: "Carroll’s dark yet luminous artwork is a perfect match for McCoola’s tale...full of eerie shading and delicate detail."